Flutter is an open source android iOS mobile application development platform created by Google in DART programming language. Flutter is currently on the way of exploring more flexible features in development arena. This tutorial is my first tutorial about Installing Flutter on Windows. So let’s get started 🙂 .
System Requirement on Windows:
There are some minimum system requirement is set by Google to install and run Flutter on windows machine. Below is the minimum system requirement.
- Operating System : Windows 7 Service pack 1 or later.
- Disk Space :500 MB – To put flutter SDK.
- VM Acceleration enable – To improve android emulator speed.
1. Download & Install Flutter SDK:
1. Goto Flutter SDK releases page and download the latest version of Flutter SDK under Stable Channel(Windows) block. At the time of making this tutorial there is flutter v1.2.1 is running.
Screenshot of Page:
2. After download complete you’ll see a .zip extension file containing flutter SDK. Simply extract the file and put it into a separate folder in any drive. Like i am putting my flutter SDK in F -> Android_Setup -> flutter_sdk .
1. This step is to make sure that you can run the flutter commands directly from Windows Command Prompt screen. So Right click on your My Computer -> Properties .
My flutter sdk bin folder is : F:\Android_Setup\flutter_sdk\bin . You should here user your own flutter sdk path.
2. Start Android Studio, and go through the ‘Android Studio Setup Wizard’ . Install the latest SDK Platform-Tools, and Android SDK Build-Tools.
4. Install Java JDK:
Download & install Java Development Kit(JDK) from oracle’s official page.
5. Setup Android SDK Manger path + Java Path:
1. Right click on My Computer.
2. Goto Properties.
4. Click on Environment variables.
6. Here you need to make a Variable named as ANDROID_HOME and put your ANDROID SDK MANAGER path here. Like i did in below screenshot.
6. Setup Android Emulator to test apps:
1. Enable VM acceleration on your device. Download Hardware_Accelerated_Execution_Manager from Intel and install the software.
2. Start Android Studio -> Tools -> AVD Manager.
3. Click on Create New Virtual Device.
4. Select your device type and press the Next button.
1. Start Android Studio.
2. Open plugin preferences (Preferences > Plugins on macOS.)
3. Open File > Settings > Plugins on Windows & Linux,
4. Select Browse repositories, search for Flutter plugin and click Install.
4. Click Yes when prompted to install the Dart plugin.
5. Click Restart.
6. Restart the Android Studio also to configure properly.
8. Creating First Flutter App:
1. Goto File -> New flutter project.
1. Locate Android Studio main tool bar. See the below screenshot to understand the project running buttons.